Minecraft is loved the world over, and has only improved over time. We know it, we love it, and other people have tried as hard as possible to ride on their coattails. Of course, that doesn’t mean that a game won’t come along and “do it better”, but has such a thing surfaced?
While it isn’t claiming to be Minecraft, I can’t help but feel as though Tug is a “step up” from where Minecraft is. It’s a multiplayer open-world sandbox-RPG that provides you with the familiar need to deal with survival through exploration, gathering, and crafting. They say that their inspirations for this game come from Minecraft, Fable, Animal Crossing, Zelda, Eve Online, Monster Hunter, and Dwarf Fortress. That being said, you can imagine what kind of things you might find in this game. Here are a few of the features you’ll be able to look towards:
- Integrated modding support: support for modding tools hooked in from the beginning
- Pets and Companions will join you in your travels and help along the way.
- Entire Civilizations lie hidden for you to uncover… or create new ones to conquer the world!
- Day, Night, and Seasonal Cycles with perils and opportunities unique to each.
- Exotic Wild Beasts to tame, hunt, breed, or ride!
- Logic Engineering, from simple trap triggers to reprogramming your golem!
- Dark Mysteries to unearth, and ancient powers to unleash!
- DRM-Free. That includes the servers
Instead of starting this game out as a guy named Steve who never changes, you’ll start out as a character called a newborn seed: a near-human child without defenses, resources or practical skills, and you will grow into an adult. Based on how you eat and fight, your physical form will change accordingly. What’s pretty sweet is that you won’t have NPCs feeding you information about the world, as you will have to discover it on your own. Currently this is only a Kickstarter project, but it looks pretty in-depth, and with a $10 pledge getting you the game, it’s worth checking out?